Wednesday, May 9, 2007

In the Park, Sirs


This weekend saw me campaign in Sunset Park, near my home in Brooklyn. It is a lovely place, with views of the Statue of Liberty and Lower Manhattan.
Rather than show that, though, I wanted a shot of me in front of the crowds, speaking.

What was I speaking about?
The Subway. I cannot ride it, nor can many good dogs in the city. And since many cabs won't take dogs, too many of my fellow canines are stuck in their home neighbourhoods.
Imagine the smells of Chinatown! Kielbasa in Park Slope! Italian Sausages and Peppers in Astoria! Ribs in the Bronx! And I assume people eat things in Staten Island, too, but am unwilling to investigate the issue.

And what really is awful is that is issue is mired in prejudice!
Little yappy dogs -- ill-begotten rat/dog hybrids like chihuahuas -- can ride in purses, but dependable useful breeds like German Shepherds, Labrador Retrievers and hounds of all stripes are denied.

My pledge to you, dogs and sirs and lady-sirs, is full access for all dogs: on the subway, on the trains, on the buses, on the ferries. In cabs.

Hams to You.
We'll see you in the Subways, Sirs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Sebastian...
My Lady has a very soft heart when it comes to those of our kind and she has rescued 2 of those little rat/chahuahua dogs...
At first I was devastated that she would bring them into my home, but as I watched the wretched little things, all abused and such, I found my heart melted somewhat....
I finally sniffed each ones butt in welcome and they were so overjoyed they became my "guarddogs"...Ain't that funny...
I am a big Rotweiller/Cocker Spaniel male...(Yes...I am of hybred persuasion and proud of it!)...
I weigh in at a whopping 103#...
So you can see how delicious it is for these 2 tiny sentries to hold guard while I sleep...
I highly recomend security like this to any high ranking dog of power...
Will see you at the polls...
Wishing you juicy hams and sausages...
Sebastian Fairen LeSage the first...

Anonymous said...

Well written article.